Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Yay, For Handmade!


(Deep Breath!)

I have taken a pledge!

I am now committed.

(whew...)

What, you may ask, am I pledging my undying loyalty to? (Well, okay, "undying" might be overreaching just a bit.)

I am pledging (until the end of the year at least) to only give handmade items as gifts. Items I buy for gifting purposes will be handmade, or I will make my self.

Oh boy. Can I do it? I don't know.

I hope so.

(I kind of have to now, right? I mean I "pledged" and all, right here in front of y'all in cyber space! Ugh- what have I gotten myself into?! Oh dear.)

Anyway, I've been seeing the cute little "Handmade" icon (now posted to the left of the screen)
on more than one site lately, so I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about.

Basically, the general idea is to pledge, per holiday season, to only give holiday gifts that are handmade. WELL, since we don't exactly throw ourselves whole hog into the gift-giving bit of the holidays around here, I thought I'd tweak my personal pledge just a bit.

For the holidays we do generally give a small gift to those in our immediate families and those we're closest with, so I thought, "Hey, why not?" I can't exactly afford to BUY handmade right now, but I sure could make it by hand myself! (Much, much easier on the budget.)

This is something I've been wanting to learn anyway- how to "do it myself", so why not now, right?

I'd like to carry this little idea into next year with me too (if it goes well!). It sure would be easier to afford, making gifts rather than buying them. Not that I have that many gift-giving occasions coming up in the immediate future- it's the principle of the thing! :D

So, fair warning to you all! If you know me, and there are occasions in which I may give you a gift coming up, either in the near future or next year, be warned!
(And I promise, I'll do my best to tell you from the beginning what "it" is, just so you don't have to ask! Statements of, "Oh, how nice! What is it?" might hurt my feelings.) ;)

No comments: