Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Critical


I heard something so good for myself on the radio coming home from picking up groceries today that I just had to share.

First, I'm confessing that I'm a perfectionist. But you know what the most ironic thing about that is? I'm an unorganized mess!

I was listening to this radio program, shared from a Christian perspective, on criticism, and the host said some things that I hope will really stick with me.

I first began listening, as I flipped through the stations, because the topic started out on being critical of your spouse in your marriage.

That can be one of my biggest failings, so I really wanted to hear what they had to say on it.

Here are a few of the things I'm going to try to keep in mind:


*Dwelling on the criticisms you have of your spouse, and forgetting to keep in the forefront of your mind your love for them- and share more of the love than the criticism, hurts them and your marriage.

*Critical people are usually perfectionists, and almost always hyper-critical of themselves first.

*The fruit of being so self-critical (and such a perfectionist) is procrastination. The mindset of, "I can't do it right/well enough/etc., so it will have to wait until I can."
(I can SO see this in myself. And my procrastination around our home gives us a home that often feels overwhelmingly cluttered or messy.)

*When you feel critical of your spouse, ask yourself, "Did I marry them because of that (whatever it is that's bugging you)?"

*Take time to memorize several Bible verses that reinforce how much God loves you- and when you're being critical of yourself (we're talking self-criticism to the point of it effecting your self esteem) take a moment to recite them to yourself. Remember what you're "worth" to Him, and how much you're valued by Him.

*Think twice, speak once.


I think an important part of living simply, my personal Resolution, is letting go of that perfectionist, critical part of me. Of just relaxing, and letting God control. Realizing that it doesn't have to be done "perfectly"- it's so much better to accomplish something that's "pretty close" than to not try to do it at all. And, most importantly, realizing that, at the end of the day, what matters most is not what I accomplish, but whether or not I kept Him first in my life that day and kept a godly spirit in all that I did or tried to do.

These were just some good thoughts for me today, and I wanted to share them with you.

Do you ever feel God's love and influence that way? Maybe you don't feel as in touch with Him as you should be, and yet it's as if He gives you something, kind of out-of-the-blue, that you so need and that's "just for you" anyway? I do, and it just makes me so very thankful to have such a wonderful and loving Father. It humbles me, and gives me an even stronger desire to get closer to Him, and to keep close.


Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

:)






1 comment:

Mariah said...

Thanks so much for sharing this... it's something I really need to work on! :)